Enter lightly cooked, mouth watering Crunchy Orange Carrots. A great side dish with any meal, perfect for a summer BBQ since they do not need to be served warm, and super easy to make.
1 1/2 pounds carrots
1/2 orange zest, in long strips
juice from half an orange
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 tsp cumin
2 tsp coarse salt
sprinkle of pepper
1. Peel the carrots and cut them on a diagonal to come out with even width pieces
2. Heat a pan to medium-high heat and drop in the carrots, orange zest, orange juice, white wine, cumin and salt
3. Add enough water to cover the carrots (approximately 3/4 cup)
4. Bring liquid to a boil, then turn heat down so carrots simmer* for 3-4 minutes (until lightly cooked but still a bit crunchy)
5. Put the carrots and sauce into a bowl and refrigerate for 30-40 minutes
6. Serve with about 1/3 of the sauce
I enjoyed my carrots with a lightly dressed salad of mixed greens, raspberries and pieces of the other half of the orange I juiced along with a juicy oven baked chicken thigh in caper and white wine sauce. Yum!
*simmer- light bubble