6.13.2011

Crunchy Orange Carrots

I love my veggies.  I've never been the type of person who only ate them when I was dieting.  But sometimes plain old salads and steamed broccoli and asparagus can get a bit boring.

Enter lightly cooked, mouth watering Crunchy Orange Carrots.  A great side dish with any meal, perfect for a summer BBQ since they do not need to be served warm, and super easy to make.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 pounds carrots
1/2 orange zest, in long strips
juice from half an orange
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 tsp cumin
2 tsp coarse salt
sprinkle of pepper

1.  Peel the carrots and cut them on a diagonal to come out with even width pieces

2. Heat a pan to medium-high heat and drop in the carrots, orange zest, orange juice, white wine, cumin and salt


3. Add enough water to cover the carrots (approximately 3/4 cup)
4.  Bring liquid to a boil, then turn heat down so carrots simmer* for 3-4 minutes (until lightly cooked but still a bit crunchy)

5. Put the carrots and sauce into a bowl and refrigerate for 30-40 minutes
6. Serve with about 1/3 of the sauce

I enjoyed my carrots with a lightly dressed salad of mixed greens, raspberries and pieces of the other half of the orange I juiced along with a juicy oven baked chicken thigh in caper and white wine sauce.  Yum!


*simmer- light bubble

No comments:

Post a Comment