1 large, peeled, yukon gold potato
1/2 cup shredded leeks
1 large egg
2 tsp flour
salt and pepper
1. In a food processor using the shredding blade shred the potato (if you don't have a food processor you can try using the large side of a cheese grater).
2. Chop the onions/leeks to be approximately the same length and width as the potato.
3. Preheat a pan over medium-high heat with about a 1/2 inch of vegetable oil.
4. Squeeze the excess liquid out of the shredded potato and mix in a bowl with the leeks, egg, flour and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
5. Test the oil by placing a tiny bit of potato mixture into the pan. If it bubbles when the test bit it placed your oil is ready.
6. Use a slotted spoon to scoop about 1/4 cup of potato mixture out of bowl. Use your clean hand to squeeze excess liquid through the slotted spoon and place the potato/onion mixture into the oil.
7. Cook approximately 2 minutes on each side or until you begin to see the bottom of the potato pancake browning.
8. Place on a paper towel after frying and immediately sprinkle with a pinch of salt.
9. Serve with a dollop of sour cream on top, apple sauce is delicious too!
Makes approximately 2 servings.