We had a friends-giving cocktail hour this past Sunday, prior to Thanksgiving. I made a delicious cornbread stuffing (recipe to come) and this tasty twist on mashed potatoes. These zesty mashed sweet potatoes are great for any holiday or just a normal everyday dinner. Sweet potatoes are inexpensive and pack so much nutritional value. Trust me you will want to add this recipe to your repertoire.
(Recipe adapted from Rachael Ray, see original here)
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons sugar
2 shots rum
1 lime, juiced
1/2 cup chicken broth
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint, 3 whole leaves for garnish
1. Place the sweet potatoes in a small pot and cover with water.
2. Bring water to a boil and salt it.
3. Cook the potatoes until they are tender, approximately 15 minutes.
4. Drain the potatoes and return to the hot pot.
5. Mash the butter, sugar, rum, lime juice and chicken stock together.
6. Stir with a hand mixer or immersion blender until smooth.
7. Gently fold in the chopped mint leaves.
8. Add additional salt to the top of the potatoes.