5.12.2011

Berry Filo Pastries

I promised for my Waste Not, Want Not challenge I would use those strawberries that were going bad for something and this is what I came up with.  This one is dedicated to my friend Melena from work who called me "a little Martha Stewart" and has no idea how flattering that comment actually was to me :)  I didn't have enough strawberries to make pastries for work friends so I used the strawberries to make something for myself and used some frozen blueberries I found in the back of my freezer to make more.

Ingredients (found in my fridge and freezer of course, nothing purchased):
2 cups Fresh or frozen berries
1 tsp orange zest
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup sugar
1 roll of fill dough (thawed)
1/4 cup powdered sugar
2 tbsp melted butter

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. If you chose strawberries, chop into quarters

3. Place all ingredients, except for the powdered sugar and butter, in a pan over medium heat


4. Stir occasionally and heat berries for about 7-8 minutes until sugar has drawn liquid out of berries and turned into a syrupy texture
5. Unwrap filo dough onto a sheet of parchment paper and cover with a damp paper towel
6. Remove damp towel and cut filo dough into squares and then across the middle of the square into triangles
7. Take one triangle at a time (while others are covered with damp towel), split filo sheets in half and put two spoonfuls over berries onto one half


8. Flip other half of filo sheets on top of berries and use kitchen brush to glaze top of pastry with melted butter

9.  Repeat with all the pastry triangles
10. bake for 10-15 minutes or until top of pastries are golden brown

11.  Sprinkle top of pastries with powdered sugar


Hint: When working with filo dough do not take it out of the wrapper until all your other ingredients are ready as it dries out quickly.  Work fast and make sure to place your damp towel back over the sheets you aren't using while working.

No comments:

Post a Comment